Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Big Day: Getting the Word on the Street

This is Casey with another report. Since today was, in fact, 4/20/2013 I decided to go out on campus, Pearl Street and University Hill to try and talk to people to get their opinions on how the CU Boulder campus is preparing to today. Suffice it to say, the response wasn't quite as overwhelming as I had hoped for the sake of this project.

First, I talked to a group of guards who told me they were not permitted to give interviews. They did refer me back to Ryan Huff, whom I had told them I'd already interviewed.

Then, I decided to walk around the hill to try and talk to people. Unfortunately, no one was really all that willing to talk to me saying that they didn't smoke and that they were on their way to some other place. When I told them that didn't matter and just asked them if they had some opinion on how their campus is handling this event, responses ranged from being glad that they decided not to put fish fertilizer on Norlin Quad to saying that having cops and security guards every nine feet or so all asking to show some form of ID was a bit much, but it was understandable.

When asked if the money CU is spending to stem the tide of 4/20 was worth it, some agreed that it could've been put to better use while some just said they just don't want their tuition money raised if it means that money is going to cover occurrences like these. One person even stated that while he didn't agree with CU spending this much money to stop 4/20 from happening, he did see how campus officials would rationalize doing it as a way to protect CU's image as an academic institution and place of higher learning and not just a prominent party school.

By the time I got to the Pearl Street Mall, I noticed that there were so many people out and about that it was impossible just to tell if they were students of just tourists, but I could tell that not a lot of people would've been worth talking to or would have a relevant opinion (especially after my experience talking to people on the hill) so I just decided to go home and call it an afternoon.

I did get one two minute clip of video, but I don't believe it to be worth sharing. I wold say the interview fell apart as I realized that three out of the five questions Taylor and I had prepared would be only things that guards and/or campus officials could answer, so I just bought it to a stammering halt. Needless to say, you won't be seeing it any time soon.

I did, however, get some pictures of the Norlin quad today (from a distance, of course) so you will be seeing those on the site as soon as I can get it up and running. Also, I got a picture of a guy getting arrested over by Pearl. As soon as we get the possible legal and ethical kinks worked out on that one and get the full story behind it, you might see it on the site.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment